Salzburg’s ‘Wunderkind’ – Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart – was born in what is known as the ‘Hagenauer House’ at no. 9 Getreidegasse on the 27th January 1756. He lived there with his sister ‘Nannerl’ and his parents until 1773. Mozart’s ‘Geburtshaus’ now houses a museum open all year round.
Leopold and Anna Maria Mozart lived on the third floor of the ‘Hagenauer House’ at no. 9 Getreidegasse for a total of 26 years, from 1747 to 1773. The house was named after its owner, the merchant, purveyor of spices and friend of the Mozart family, Johann Lorenz Hagenauer. On the 27th January 1756 it became the birthplace of the now world famous Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.
Museum in Mozart’s Geburtshaus in the Getreidegasse
In 1880 the International Mozarteum Foundation set up the first museum in Mozart’s ‘Geburtshaus’. Over the decades it has undergone a systematic process of remodelling and expansion and it is now a place of cultural interest that attracts thousands of visitors to Salzburg from all over the world. Mozart’s ‘Geburtshaus’ has earned its status as one of the most frequently visited sights and places of interest in Austria.
Mozart’s ‘Geburtshaus’ guides guests through the original rooms in which the Mozart family lived and presents a range of artefacts, including historical instruments, documents, keepsakes and mementos, and the majority of the portraits painted during his lifetime. One such example is the unfinished oil portrait painted by Mozart’s brother-in-law Joseph Lange in 1789 – ‘Wolfgang Amade Mozart at the piano’. Among the most famous exhibits are Mozart’s childhood violin, his clavichord, portraits and letters belonging to the Mozart family.
The musical instruments exhibited in Mozart’s Geburtshaus were passed on from Mozart’s widow, Constanze Nissen, through her sons Carl Thomas and Franz Xaver Wolfgang, and are now owned by the International Mozarteum Foundation.