Piazza Unità d’Italia

Piazza Unità d’Italia, Trieste’s “sitting room”, is Europe’s largest square overlooking the sea. Originally, it was called Piazza San Pietro, then Piazza Grande. It was named Piazza Unità when Trieste was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy after 1918. In 1955, when Trieste was annexed 


From end of ’50 the Piazza Ponterosso in the center of Trieste became for all the citizens of Yugoslavia a myth, a favorite destination for shopping. During the ’70 and the ’80 the object that symbolized this myth is the blue jeans. During those years 


Trieste is the capital city of the Friuli Venezia Giulia region in northeast Italy. A port city, it occupies a thin strip of land between the Adriatic coast and Slovenia’s border on the limestone-dominated Karst Plateau. Italian, Austro-Hungarian and Slovenian influences are all evident in 


Murano is a series of islands linked by bridges in the Venetian Lagoon, northern Italy. It lies about 1.5 kilometres north of Venice and measures about 1.5 km across with a population of just over 5,000. It is famous for its glass making. Murano was 

Ponte di Rialto

Probably the most visited and most photographed bridge in Venice, the Rialto Bridge (Ponte di Rialto) opened in 1591. For nearly three hundred years, it was the only way to cross the Grand Canal on foot. The bridge replaced various wooden bridges that had occupied 

Santa Maria della Salute

The Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute, referred to by most locals as simply Salute, sits on a narrow strip of land between the Grand Canal and the St. Mark’s Basin. The church was proposed in 1630 by the Venetian Senate in response to a 

Palazzo Ducale

Until 1797, the Doges ruled the Venetian Empire and the Palazzo Ducale was where they ruled from. A Venetian Gothic fantasy palace, it was one of the first things those arriving in Venice saw as their ships sailed through the lagoon and landed at St 

Basilica San Marco

The original St. Mark’s Church was situated inside the complex of the Doge’s Palace and was constructed in 828. It was built to house the relics of St. Mark the Evangelist, which were supposedly stolen by Venetian merchants from Alexandria, Egypt several years earlier. The 

Piazza San Marco

Piazza San Marco was constructed in the ninth century as a small square dotted with trees. The square was laid out in front of the original St. Mark’s Basilica, at the time a small chapel which was part of the Doge’s Palace. The square was 


Venice, the capital of northern Italy’s Veneto region, is built on more than 100 small islands in a lagoon in the Adriatic Sea. It has no roads, just canals – including the Grand Canal thoroughfare – lined with Renaissance and Gothic palaces. The central square,