Villa della Regina
Savoy Royal Residences, located in Torino and its surroundings, are a journey along monumental architecture styles between XVII and XVIII century, and an expression of monarchy ideology..
Added to UNESCO world heritage list since 1997.
Known initially as the “Vineyard”, it acquired the name Villa of the Queen in 1714, following the accession to the royal title by Anne Marie d’Orléans and Victor Amadeus II. The apartments and gardens were updated for them by the court architect, Filippo Juvarra.
Life in the Court of Savoy was a mix of amusements and ceremonies in the luxurious residences ringing the city, built to create a refined “Crown of Delights” around the capital, as a demonstration of the magnificence of the House of Savoy. Just a short way from the centre of Torino, surrounded by vines and elegant gardens, Villa della Regina and Castello del Valentino were the favourite residences of duchesses, princesses and queens, while the Palazzina di Caccia di Stupinigi and the Reggia di Venaria are stately baroque complexes created as hunting lodges and places of pleasure. Originally the castles of Rivoli and Moncalieri were for defence purposes, then transformed from ancient strongholds into “places of delight”.